Saturday, November 5, 2016

Week Four: Raspberry and Pistachio Friands

Neither Jennifer, nor I, had ever had a Friand before. So we were going into the recipe with blind tasting buds. If you can say that... I quickly googled how to make Friands, so I at least knew what the batter was supposed to look like, which helped us to know abit at least on how it was supposed to work ... 

I will start by introducing our kitchen. You are going to be seeing a lot of our kitchen, so I thought it deserved a proper introduction just like everyone else received. 

So our kitchen has been fortune enough to behold a variety of different appliances. There are two smoothie makers, a juicer, a toastie machine, two rice makes, a soup hand-held blender, a hand-held mixer, a toaster, a microwave and a kettle (which, I am sure, is the most used item. Tea please!!!). There is also occasionally a pumpkin, spray oil, rye flour and a Sour Dough starter on the bench. It is because of this that it is hard to have the kitchen benches cleared. 

Our kitchen is dearly loved, because it is so well looked after by the amazing residents who tenderly clean it regularly. Well, usually... 

So, onto the bake of this week: Raspberry and Pistachio Friands :)

Yes, we did have a lot of bowls on the bench!! Let me explain ...
Since the Friands had nuts in them, and Sophie is allergic to nuts, we decided to make half without nuts. Hence, the many bowls ;)

Another interesting fact about that photo is that we used 4 egg whites!! For just 8 Friands!! I know, very weird ;)

Oh, do you like the pumpkin? Pamela got it for 20 pence at Lidl!!!

Jennifer measuring out all the icing sugar. Definitely not missing out on all that goodness ;)
The recipe. They always looks so immaculately made in the picture. We will see how ours turn out like...
Blending up the pistachio and icing sugar mixture in our make-blender smoothie maker :D 
Jennifer spooning the non-nut batter into the cupcake tins.  Shh.. You are supposed to use a Friand tin for Friands, but anyways... we make the most of what we have.
Placing the raspberries onto the Friands

The Friands after bring sprinkled with more pistachios :D It is amazing how different the nut and non-nut Friands look here!!

The lovely Friands rising!!

On a side note, I love chai tea :D So I recently bought a new type of chai tea from Tesco, and so I decided to make the chai latte recipe it has on the side of the packet while I was waiting for the Friands. It seemed pretty straight forward, so I went for it!!

All you have to do is simmer some milk on the stove with the chai tea bag in it for around 5 minutes. I guess you could do this with any type of tea actually!! So yeah. I then added honey to the milk on the stove, and poured it into my mug. 

And it was AMAZING!!!!!

The final product!! They look like faces with two eyes and a mouth in an "o" shape ;) haha. 

They tasted very interesting! Definitely filling ... I don't usually bake with nuts, and I don't know if I am actually a huge fan of using nuts in general. The just taste a tad too ... nutty ;) 

Till next time,

The Baking Students xx

No comments:

Post a Comment