Thursday, January 26, 2017

Week 14: Pink Grapefruit Cake

And we have lost track of the dates!! ;) haha

Thinking back to baking this I recall how I had a bike accident the day before we made it. That is how I remembered when we made this. Not to worry, I was feeling fine. Just a little battered ;)


The day was a lovely sunny day, and I had just bought some gorgeous bluey-purple flowers, which I didn't know the name of. To top things of on this lovely day, we were all (mostly all of us) in the kitchen trying the grapefruit that was left over from the zest we needed in the cake ;) Here is Sophie trying the fruit for the first time:


So without further a do, and with our grapefruit trying done and dusted for the year (it was VERY bitter, and Sophie did have a point about it tasting like the yucky taste from drinking juice right after brushing your teeth), we got stuck in to the recipe.

Jennifer whisking up the cake batter
The batter looking very smashing, I must say!
Grating the grapefruit was my job :D We made the cake vegan, so that is why there is the paper there. I had written down the ingredients we were substituting for eggs (1/4 cup banana to 1 egg) and butter (oil margarine), so that we wouldn't get confused ;) 
All ready for the oven
Getting the grapefruit drizzle ready for when the cake came out of the oven. There was A LOT of icing sugar in that!!
In the meantime we decided to decorate our flat :) What do you think?
And we also decorated the W that we had stuck on the noticeboard during the first month in our flat. We did this because we usually have the "Wee World Cafe" meetings for International Students in our flat :D 
DRIZZLE!! We were quite unsure when to put the drizzle on, so after some brief deliberation we decided on just going with it. I had not idea cause I had never made drizzle cake before, and neither had any of the other baking students, so we went with Jennifer on this one.

It was soaking around the edges, but it somehow had soaked in to the cake in less than a minute!!

The final presentation of the Pink Grapefruit Cake :D
The taste was ... so deliciously zingy. Is that the right word? It was light, and yet it was heavy. I am not even making sense!! haha. So the citrus fruit made it very fresh on the palate, but the denseness of the glaze in the cake made it heavy. I mean, I could easily have eaten piece after piece!! haha

Till next time,

The Baking Students xx

No comments:

Post a Comment