Saturday, December 31, 2016

Week 10: Sticky Toffee Flapjacks and Peanut Butter Truffles

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Jennifer and I are both with our parents at this time of year, so we decided that we would both make different bakes for our families (so that we would stick to the schedule of the whole cookbook in a year). I made a Sticky Toffee Flapjack, and Jennifer made a Peanut Butter Truffle.

So in my family things were getting a little bit tense. Harri, my brother, was leaving to go to the compulsory 6-month Finnish Military Service on the 2nd of January, and so we were double-checking that he had everything he needed: all the forms, clothing and other essentials (like protein bars). Everyone we have talked to about the army service have said that protein bars are essential for the army!! So we bought like 50 of those, I think ;)

The journey to the army base would take around 2 hours, so I wanted to bake something that we could easily have as a snack in the car. I also thought that it would be nice to make something that my parents hadn't heard of. Just kidding on the latter. I didn't know they hadn't heard of flapjacks ;)

Laying THE cookbook and the music down on the dining room table was the first step :)
I then heated the butter with the brown sugar and syrup
Actually, before heating those up I pitted and cut the dates, heated the butter mixture, then weighed the oats. In that order ;)
Mixing the oats into the butter mixture
And the dates

I had to taste-test the mixture to see if it was edible :D 
It was edible!!
Laying it out in a sandwich tin
Placing the flapjacks into the oven
Now onto the topping:

Measuring out the butter and sugar
Heating it up with some syrup
And then leaving it to cool when it was all bubbly like this
Now on to toasting the pecan nuts. It sounded like I should put the pecans into the toaster, since that is how you get things toasted ;) haha no... I wouldn't do that.. So I googled it, and it is best done in the oven on high heat.

Placing the pecans on an oven tray
And so google said to leave them in the oven until fragrant, so about 5 minutes. It started getting fragrant at 3 minutes, but I thought I better leave them in for a bit longer ;)

The toasted pecans after 5 minutes. Look at the colour compared to the last photo!! Lovely <3 This would even be a nice idea for a snack!! The toasting made the nuts softer and easier to eat 
Getting the toasted pecan nuts
And sprinkling them over the flapjacks :)
So I then cut it up, brought it on the car journey, and it helped us stay sustained for most of the time (we did have to stop for occasional tea and sandwich breaks)!!  

Jennifer's Peanut Butter Truffles :D
They look so good!! I would like to take one out of the computer screen ;) Probably in the future we will be able to do that ;) Do you think?

Till next time,

The Baking Students

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment